Wednesday, April 6, 2011

CBB's & P.E.T.A

I've decided, CBB's (Crappy Bottle Babies) aren't that bad. It was never the babies themselves, as I said, it was the act of bottle feeding. I brought it upon myself, I KNOW!

I think I've got 2 of them sold though and the other two will stay here but rest assured, I will not be taking any other CBB's on on purpose!

They've come to not be so bad though. Now that they are eating hay well enough, I think they are finally keeping their bellies just full enough not to mob me every time I come out whether or not they just had a full bottle 5 minutes before.

The urge to always jump though is still there and pinching noses seems to have curbed that. They still do it but I learned trying to teach them not to jump and nip while I have a bottle in my hand while they are (apparently) starving (because I starve them you know!) is not the best time so I wait until they are full and then pinch them if they try to nip and jump. They finally get the picture...for the most part. PETA would be all over that I'm sure! I wonder how PETA supporters raise their own kids? They probably all have bratty heathens running around because God forbid they discipline with a firm hand...or maybe human kids don't matter and they beat the hell out of them! That's neither here nor there though.

Speaking of PETA and disciplining though...as I said in my last post, Saturday we had electric fence on the brain. To date we still had not let the goats into the pasture. I trust them about as far as I could throw them (some farther than others ::grin::) not to get out of the fence without the zapper on so we waited.

We turned it on Saturday and the dang thing was arcing off into the air! We thought the tube/sleeve insulators were bad and I may have gone off a bit on the guy at the farm store. Sorry about that! The only thing he could recommend/advise was that the tubing may be bad and to bring it back in. Apparently he didn't know A. what it was exactly (50' of tubing (like a hose) that you cut to length so little did he know if we would have done that, it would have been in about 200 pieces!) and B. that would mean taking down our whole fence...the one we just put up...over spring break. NOT GONNA HAPPEN DUDE!

In the end the fencer is just too much for the length of wire we have for right now but I am not about to go out and buy a smaller fencer to hold us over until the rest of the wire goes up so Jeremiah fixed it temporarily (A.K.A. Jerry Rig, Honky Hook-up, etc.). That brings us to Sunday afternoon when we FINALLY could let the goats out. You're going to love this (or not, depending on who you are). In order to teach the goats to stay the hell away from the wire -as it's more of a psychological barrier than psychical one- we had to let 'em learn the hard way. How did we do that? Leading them to it with grain, pouring it on the other side and letting them find out themselves they don't want anything to do with the fence...pasture=good...fence=baaaad. So, one by one each of them got a nice zap and that was the end of that. They decided it wasn't worth it and happily went to eating on the right side. Goooood goaties!

In the pasture


The CBB's aren't as smart though, B5 especially. I was out there yesterday and that dummy must have hit the fence at least 3 times. Every time they do, you hear a yelp (in baby goat language), watch them run away, turn around and look dazed and confused like, what he heck just happened?

P.S. PETA would be happy to know we spend our weekends and evenings burning baby goat heads...on purpose...just in case you've been reading and wondering why there are hairless brown rings on the tops of some of the kid's heads. We burn them with an iron to prevent horns from growing. We're mean like that.

1 comment:

Jo Abair said...

I think the PETA people have bratty kids. I am just throwin that out there. And also, dont you ever want to refer to them as PITA when they work textbook only and no experience? Out to burn some baby goat heads myself. Hope your day goes as fun as my next hr will!