Tuesday, August 2, 2011

2011 Reno County 4H Fair

I feel somewhat like a failure in regard to this whole 4H thing. I vow that things will run smoother for next year!

2011 4H reno county fair

Rachel had signed up for 3 different categories to show, one of them being a sewn item (which we did not get done in time), the other two were her goats that she raised (Dawn and Cheedoe. Although she ended up showing Apricot because the two little punks didn't want to lead) and a baked item. If I had a better understanding of how thing whole thing worked ahead of time it probably wouldn't have felt like such a disaster but live and learn.

That said, I missed the deadline for the 4H state fair show in Sept. She can still participate in the open show with the "big leagues" along with me I believe but as for the junior competition, she cannot. My fault somewhat although I really had no idea what in God's name all the shows are/were!



2011 4H reno county fair- ApricotThe county fair was a joke as far as the dairy goats were concerned. I don't know how many different 4H groups are in Reno County but there were a total of 6 dairy goats shown at the fair by 2 different groups (Ours (Buhler) and the Royal Clovers). One single class-meaning all 6 regardless of age which is not normally how showmanship is done because dairy goats NEVER go up against meat goats in the 'real world'. I was such a shambles not knowing what was going on that I'm sure my anxiety was passed on to Rachel and she was extremely nervous going into the showmanship class (which is based on the show-er and not the actual goat. Although, having a goat who cooperates is certainly a benefit!!!).

She was up against 7 and 8 year old's for her showmanship class, first place being taken by an 8 year old girl whose goat was docile and didn't care one way or other other where she was (show, home or otherwise). Second place was taken by a girl and her goat whom she had to drag around the ring (the goat, that is). Had I known they were passing out awards for the biggest pain in the ass [goat], I would have sent Rachel out with Dawn to begin with!  As it was, we made a change and sent her with Apricot instead of Cheedoe just so I was sure the goat wasn't adding to her stress!


2011 4H reno county fair- Setting up
Showmanship class
The goats were due at the fairgrounds on Friday morning. They didn't show until Saturday starting at noon. Much of what was in the barn was meat goats, they're real popular. We were back and forth between the house and fairgrounds probably 4 times on Friday. The heat has been unbearable and while the barn did have port-a-coolers (think huge portable swamp coolers), after a while, they really did do more harm than good as the air by afternoon was heavily laden with moisture AND it was over 100 degrees. All one could do was sit in front of a portable fan strapped to each pen (that showe-rs provided) to just live!



2011 4H reno county fair-judge discussion
Talking to the judge in the showmanship class
All in all it was a good experience. Rachel won a blue ribbon for her baked good (Chocolate Chunk Cookies). Best I can tell is that each exhibitor is scored against themselves and not another exhibitor. Basically it means everyone ribbons. I didn't tell Rachel that as she doesn't understand placing right now anyway. She's not got that competitive streak about her (yet). Perhaps she never will, she's a lot like Jeremiah in that aspect and I want to encourage that if that's who she is. She was happy to blue ribbon in both of her goat classes too (showmanship and grand/reserve grand) and pretty much said something to the affect she was glad she didn't get 1st place because those ribbons were purple and she preferred blue anyway. Simple pleasures of a 7 year old, ahhhh.

2011 4H reno county fair- waiting
This is Rachel's fake "I'm nervous as heck & I wish this was over" smile. Apricot, not as nicely set up as she should be, stood like a champ anyway and I was relieved for the effort!

No comments: