Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Garden

I have a very lovely garden, all of which I started from seed including my non-GMO organic heirloom tomatoes and peppers! I babied these things since day one many many months ago. My chickens think the garden is an excellent buffet...until, that is, I forbade them from going in. I wish I had chickens that heeded my warnings but since I don't, a fence was necessary. Darn chickens, it's always something! 

Photobucket
far fence is the western property line.

Photobucket

  Photobucket  

Two of the 4 sides were already fenced in cattle panels. There was old field fencing behind is so we had to take down the panels, remove the old field fencing and put the panels back up but now I have lots of nice field fencing to make tomato cages out of and re-purpose in other ways.

We installed 2 walk through gates (as seen in the photo above) which are nothing more than a sections of panels left over from other projects. One of the 16' panels stood up well enough without a center post. We left it so if we ever need to get the tractor in there, we can just unhook  some wires and drive it right in. Oh, did I saw tractor? Didn't know we had a tractor? Well, stay tuned!!!

 We lined the whole area with chicken wire so the baby chicks can't get in and so far, so good! No chickens in the garden. We had talked about fencing in the chickens but we kinda like the fact they are free range! It really cuts down on the feed bill and they are eating directly from nature!

It's really in a fabulous location with the trees on the western side (minus the hill which presents a bit of a watering issue when it's windy from time to time) . When the temperature is at its hottest, the western tree line shades the garden from the sweltering sun. It gets sun from about 7:30 AM to about 3 PM. I cannot tell you how nice it is to be working in the garden at 6:30 in the morning watching the sun rise over the eastern (treed) property line. All the sunflowers have their heads turned to the east anxiously awaiting the sun's morning kiss.

I guess maybe it looks kinda sparse in photos. It's actually pretty jam packed. Much of the corn is still quite small as are some of the bean plants. The chickens dug a lot of my seeds and small plants up so much of it had to be replanted. We put an end to that! 


Garden goodies: 
Tomatoes- Marmalade, Graham's Good Keeper, Evergreen, Amish Paste, Rainbow, & Brandywine
Beans: Pole and bush, Mexican Red (I believe) & Purple
Corn: Sweet, Indian and "Early"
Peppers: I'm not sure which ones survived the rolly polly attacks! I started out with at least 12, I have 4 that survived
Onions: Green, red and scallions
Potatoes: Russet and red
Sunflowers: Mammoth, black oil, assortment
Melons: Sugar baby watermelons, and a variety of canteloupe
Cuckes: Variety pack
Squash: Patty pan, yellow & zukes
 
I did not get peas in in time or cauliflower, etc., but now that there is a dedicated spot for the garden that is fenced, I can be better about getting seasonal stuff in. I know I talked about putting up a green house but that obviously has been put off this year. Maybe by next spring =). I know my plants aren't nearly as big as others, I did plant a bit later. I envy large squash and tomato bushes when I visit other people's houses but truth be told I was kind of experimenting with growing tomatoes from seed outside of a green house anyway. I don't have the room in my house to put plants so the shop was where it all happened and it wasn't exactly as warm in there as it should have been but it was fine, they just took a bit longer =).


3 comments:

Tonia said...

Looks great!!! Chickens are horrible in the garden!! if only we could teach them to Only eat the bugs..... Yeah right..

Jo Abair said...

You know, some chickens do ok when the garden is huge. We had some who didnt eat the plants, just the bugs but ONLY the older chickens and only when the garden was say, 2 months in and producing. They had less interest in the seeds/plants then. Your garden looks great! I wish I was there, despite the hot weather, to hang out in it with you. Your fencing with the chicken wire was quite a great idea.

Amanda said...

When someone learns how to train a chicken, I'd like to hire them to teach mine to stay away from my lovely baby plants! =).

Amanda, you would die in this heat we're having. Although, I will say, it's not as bad as last year and we've gotten some rain so not all is lost.