Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Little Greenhouse That Should

Jeremiah and I are nearly finished with the greenhouse. The snow storm the weekend before last dampened our efforts and Saturday there was still a good 8" to 14" on the ground (from plowing). The entire garden was covered in a thick blanket and since we decided not to put a door in the back of the greenhouse (so I could utilize more shelf space), we had to walk into the garden to do any work on the back side. It's not huge, but it'll do fine for the pepper and tomato plants.

 photo puppies163_zps19e4d11c.jpg

I figure I'll get over 100 square feet of shelf space, 142 or there abouts with shelving at the back using the ground as a "shelf" too. That's plenty!

There's been some question from people as to whether it'll hold up under snow. I'm happy to report that if it gets more than 200+ lbs. of snow on the roof, I'm moving. Jeremiah can hang from the center and it's entirely sturdy. The front and back frames do a good job at supporting it. If we added any more panels, I would suggest a vertical support or ridge pole. I have seen people build these with ridge poles.

It needs paint and shelves but I can get my seeds started this week! YAY!

 photo puppies170_zps75702381.jpg

 photo puppies172_zpsd8867b90-1.jpg




No comments: