Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pomp and Circumstance

This post really doesn't have a whole lot to do with Pomp and Circumstance really. It just seemed like a fitting title for May. In the past 2 weeks combined we've gone to 5 graduations. Jeremiah teaches out of district students, he tries to attend their graduations, 2 of which were this past Saturday. UGH. I had to suffer sit  through the Kindergarten and 6th grade graduation and all of the accomplishments of each students at the kids' elementary school last week, or the week before I guess it was. Only 1 more to go for the high school this Sunday afternoon of which, the kids and I don't have to attend.

We're finally getting to enjoy some spring weather. Except, the past 2 days have been near 90 or at 90 and that's no fun! But we've been enjoying a smoothie once a day!


 photo meatbirds072_zpseef34d4d.jpg

The meat birds arrived yesterday. These things, they remind me of jungle army ants! They've been selectively bred for outstanding feed conversion and they grow out to butcher weight in 6-9 weeks, depending on how big of a bird you want. They are voracious eaters and have been known to have leg issues from their fast growth rate but after doing quite a bit of research, if we withhold food overnight, it gives them a chance to rest. Honestly, they would literally eat 24/7 if the food was available to them.

Frankenstein birds? Perhaps, I don't think hybrid anything is inherently bad. These are the types of birds raised in commercial production, the same birds at the grocery store. We intend to raise them differently than commercial farms however which will include being put on pasture in a couple of weeks where they will spend the rest of their days being fed a high protein diet but also being allowed to scratch in the dirt and eat bugs and grass while enclosed inside of a moveable coup enclosed with a chicken wire type covering. We've yet o make it, ha. Hadn't planned on them being here until next month. Anyway, for now they are in an old hay ring inside the shop. 

  photo meatbirds085_zps0005b3c4.jpg

We got the garden tilled a couple of evenings ago. The pigs did such a thorough job last fall the tiller went through it like butta. What's nice is that I can utilize the entire plot this year. I couldn't get the tiller into the corners and I ended up loosing feet of growing space along the fence. The pigs tilled right into the corner for me.

We planted some lettuce, beats and a few herbs about a week ago in some raised boxes. Today the children and I planted onions and basil. There is quite a bit in the greenhouse and I am in no hurry to put it into the garden. I'd like to get the seed plants planted first, the stuff n the greenhouse, for now, is happy. I've got lots of different kinds of tomatoes, peppers, herbs and egg plant. I don't know if it will all fit to be honest.

Mother's Day/Drew's birthday was pretty uneventful. Jeremiah and I drove up north to get some hay we found at a pretty good deal. Sold half of it and paid for a good majority of what we kept.

Drew got a bike, a set of Legos and a couple of Nerf guns that he and Jeremiah love to play war with. Drew still needs training wheels, it's true. Or maybe they are a crutch, either way I almost felt sorry for a minute that he's 7 and has not lived in a place with enough concrete to effectively learn without. The gravel and grass would be a little difficult to learn on. Truth is, I am actually not sorry at all. He's been lucky enough to live 99% of his life outside of the concrete jungle. I consider that a blessing. Maybe he doesn't think so or won't think so later on but we think it's pretty darn great, even if they dicide at some point it isn't. For now, they don't know much else and think it's pretty awesome.

 photo meatbirds033_zpsf21ab3c9.jpg

 photo meatbirds048_zps98c83f3e.jpg


 photo meatbirds043_zps214dd813.jpg



 photo meatbirds002_zps2799afe3.jpg

We're in the middle of a refi on the house. The previous mortgage broker we used for our original loan called me a few weeks ago and asked me if I had time. I told him I always have time to save money! It's become a bit of a pain in the butt as we have to have an appraisal done in it. It started out not needing one but the lending institution in Ca. is asking for one strictly as a formality. Whatever. Fine. So today I have been cleaning because even though an appraiser lives in his house too, it's like cleaning before the maid gets there. I didn't think our interest was high before, when we got the loan nearly 3 years ago it was the lowest that could be had. Rates have dropped considerably which is why he called us and after all is said and done, our interest will drop over a point and save us about $200-300 a month and because it's a VA loan and Jeremiah is considered partially disabled due to military service, we're paying pretty close to nothing out of pocket. Can't beat that, right?  As it is, I intend to leave the payment as it is and if my amortization calculation is correct, the place should be paid off in about 15 years.

At any rate, it's cooled off some and the garden isn't going to plant itself. Dinner also isn't going to make itself, unfortunately. Strawberries are on sale, I have been craving a strawberry pie and I've got chicken ready for chicken and noodles!


No comments: