Saturday, January 1, 2011

It's official...I'm sick!

Sick of fall and winter, sick of cold, sick of ice, sick of gloves, and hats and runny noses and cold wind and Thomas (our wood stove), and cloudy days and brown foliage and leafless trees! I'm sick of it all. I want Spring!!!

We had some last minute company the past week. Gary, Jeremiah's brother-in-law (Rebecca's husband), Thomas and Sarah visited us from WV. 

It was 66 degrees on Thursday. As you can see...after wearing long sleeves and jackets and hats and gloves for what seems like forever, 66 degrees feels like summer and out came the tank tops, shorts and flip flops! Can you believe it?

(Left to right: Rachel, Sarah, Drew, and Thomas. Sarah was 14 months old at our wedding and Thomas was our 3 year old ring bearer...how quickly they grow. How quickly time flies!)

But what a tease...what a horrible horrible awful terrible tease. I knew it wouldn't last. I secretly hoped it would of course but my wishing was fruitless. Thursday evening after such a beautiful day with a warm southern wind, the north wind won out and the temperature dropped so quickly. The clouds rolled in and we had sleet on Thursday night. It was a frozen wonder wasteland by Friday morning followed by snow flurries by 9 AM.

car icicles

I long for spring! It cannot come fast enough.

Today is Saturday, day one of 2011. We're ringing in the new year working on the basement. We've been slacking off the past few weeks, I'll admit. I have a list of "honey do's" for the next 2 months to include painting the inside of the house. We'll see how far I get with that.

Some new somewhat old news...The Healthy Baby Boutique in Newton (about half an hour due east) will be stocking some of my diapers towards the middle of the month. That's pretty exciting!

One of my goats, PJ, will not settle (as in, she has not gotten pregnant yet). I've run the gauntlet as to the reason for her infertility and narrowed it down to a few possible reasons. I talked to a goat mentor of mine and she said possibly a uterine infection so yesterday, when she came back into heat again (I wanted to wait to be sure she wasn't pregnant as filling her full of antibiotics could harm potential fetus') I started her on a heavy duty dose on Penicillin, after 7 days of that she'll get another 7 days of a tetracycline (which is another antibiotic) and hopefully when she comes back into heat again (approx. 7 days after all the full two weeks of  antibiotics) she'll finally settle. I am hoping an infection is her problem because I have about run out of other possible causes. Her daughter Emmy from this year that I kept isn't settling either...I've put her onto the back burner for now hoping that a dose of selenium may be her problem. I'm still waiting to see if she cycles again or not. As for everyone else that I wanted bred is bred so, at least the infertility isn't herd wide, though it may be easier to diagnose the problem if it was! Oh well.

No comments: