Monday, May 9, 2011

How I cook

Jeremiah forwarded an email to me from someone at school requesting recipes be sent in to make a cookbook for a fundraiser of a gal who passed away not to long ago. This was my response to Jeremiah.

"I feel badly for the person who has to follow my recipe(s). They would read like this...

Brown your ground beef (or turkey if you wish), add some onions (how much I don't know...use "some" as a measurement) and garlic (the "some" measurement applies), cook on low and stir...while that's cooking chop this that and the other. If you don't have this, no biggy, substitute that or if you don't like it leave it out. Before you added this that and the other, you may have thought about draining the fat. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Drain if you wish. Then add some salt and pepper and chili powder and Italian seasoning and cumin. Then some tomatoes and homemade chicken broth left over from the chicken you cooked the night before and if you don't have that, I suppose canned stock or cubes would work too, stir. Let bubble for a while, stir. Taste, add this that and the other if needed. Cover. When it's done which is in about...well, I don't know how long, it's done when it's done. Serve with green onions and sour cream and Frito corn chips and if you don't have any of those, improvise or eat it plain.

If they don't mind this type of recipe, I could write their whole book! I've got tons of them!

Want a bread recipe? That's easy! Take some yeast, put it in a bowl. Take some honey, put it in there too. Add some eggs if you want. Put a cup or 2 of warm water in the bowl, add some sea (or kosher salt) and enough flour to allow the dough to still be wet. Stir, add more flour if needed but don't overdo it, you want it wet! Don't worry about kneeding, REALLY! Cover, let sit for as long as you got and then bake at whatever temperature your oven happens to be at for however long it takes them to brown.

The end. "

2 comments:

Jo Abair said...

Ok you know what... I likely cannot follow your written recipe. But your cooking works! I mean its amazing food, I would like to live next door and do some of your chores so you can do all the cooking. And if I watch you cook, as I am a decent cook, I can often improve my own cooking from watching. IE biscuits. Mine are SO much better from watching your relaxed style of biscuit making, yours are still better than mine will ever be but hey cant complain about the improvement!

Amanda said...

Two words: "Butter" and "Lard"! ha ha ha