Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Easy Chili

I made a pretty easy chili last night and I wanted to share the recipe. I didn't get a photo. I meant to, really but...um, we kinda ate it all before I could. Maybe next time.

P.S. It's not the same without the toppings!

This will make 2 good child size servings and 4 adult servings (or seconds for the adults in a family of 4 with two small children)

Ingredients:
1/2- 1 lb. ground Cookie beef (for anyone who doesn't know who or what Cookie is/was, Cookie was the neighbors angus cow in Ca. that was put into the freezer. She was the best Cookie I ever ate. If you've never had home grown beef, there is no substitute!)
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1/2 of large can of water (use tomato can)
1 cup of chicken stock (optional. I had stock left over from the other night so I threw it in. Would be good with beef broth too, and if you have neither of those, more water will work too.)
1 medium onion chopped
3 cloves garlic
3 tsp. ground cumin (or to taste)
A few good pinches of salt (more or less to taste)
1 can of kidney beans (the whole can juice and all)
A few dashes of Worcestershire
2 tbs. chili powder (more or less to taste)
bag of Frito's corn chips
green onions
sour cream
shredded cheese
jalapenos (optional)

In a cast iron dutch oven (or large pot) brown beef, add diced onion and garlic. There was not much grease from my beef but if there is, drain it off. Once the beef is browned, add tomatoes, water, kidney beans, spices, Worcestershire and chicken stock.
Let simmer for about an hour, stir occasionally and tasting. If you need more spice(s), add and let simmer some more. I put a lid on mine for about 40 min. and let it simmer without the lid for the additional 20. It really thickened up after that, but that's optional too. Depends on how thick you like your chili.

Top with shredded cheese, then Fritos, then sour cream and then green onions (and picked jalapenos if you wish). YUMMMMM, great on a cold day!

2 comments:

karissa said...

Yum, I was just talking to my sister about making chili this week....I will give this a try-I fully agree on the beef point, we just bought part of a cow and wow is it good, no comparison to the store stuff.

Wow, you moved, I'm way out of the loop - hope you are enjoying your new spot!

Amanda said...

Yeah, we moved to Kansas in July. Hubby got a great teaching job here so...we packed up everyone and moved. It was a HUGE undertaking but phew, we made it and are settling in.