Tuesday, September 6, 2011

We're ants, not grasshoppers!

Collecting and stacking


100 bales- too tired to stack in the barn so we backed it into the shop. The next best thing!

We drove up to Abilene on Saturday early in the morning to pick up another hundred bales of alfalfa. Our last load I think! Then we went to Jo's. She's getting the house ready to put on the market and Jeremiah installed a bathtub that ended up taking 2 days. Remodeling is never EVER simple and there's always snags in the road. Jeremiah and I ended up driving back late Saturday night so that I could feed and milk Sunday morning. The kids stayed. He was able to finish it up Sunday and by Sunday afternoon we were back on the road again and pooped! Every single one of us!

I am still working on the Living room! Yesterday I finally got the ceiling primed after the whole fiasco of the little bit of texture that was left started peeling off I went ahead and re-textured it with soupy drywall mud and a texture roller. I should be able to finish up the living room this weekend.

Jeremiah cut down a bunch of old dead or dying trees about the property. The kids and I started collecting from the many stacks we had around and putting it in one central location. What we got done, the children though, was plenty to get us though. I chuckled because ALL of what we collected and stacked in a few hours yesterday was about all we did to start last year beginning in October and we thought it would be plenty. Turns out it was plenty...for about 3 weeks! Then we were out again. HA! Another year old and another year wiser, we'll keep collecting and stacking little by little so that we're not grumbling about getting out on a cold January day to do it out of necessity!

The old timers this that because of the hard summer we've had, we should expect an equally hard winter. They say for as many days over we've had (I lost count), we'll have as many days below freezing...or was it below zero?? Oy, I'd appreciate neither.

Slow but sure...



No comments: