Saturday, March 12, 2011

Meet King

King Pup and Fleur's Babies 005
King is the newest member of the herd. Sunday morning he was eager to get out of the garage and head out to see his new family of the 4 legged variety.

King Pup and Fleur's Babies 057


Jeremiah and I have both commented on how smart he is. Much more so than a regular family pet dog in my personal opinion. I would imagine that most "working" dogs have their special instinct(s) about them that makes them smarter in some ways and I am not bias at all, just to watch him makes you realize he's always thinking.

The goats were not thrilled to have him but over the course of 4 days they've calmed down a lot and don't mind him in the barn much, they're just wary. They crowd towards the back soe but you don't need to watch them to know how they feel. Watch the dog, HE knows and will immediately back off and give them their space if he feels they feel at all uneasy. It's really quite amazing.

Tuesday he managed to get on the other side of the pen fence. I went out around noon and he was none to thrilled to not be able to get back over. I don't know how he got on the other side but it wasn't a behavior I praised him for. He's not tried it since and matter of fact, yesterday we walked the property line checking on the condition of fence posts and he came along with but was a bit reluctant to go through the gate. He knew unless I invited him it was not okay.He stayed with me every step of the way around the whole property. The neighbors dogs were having a conniption fit but King didn't say a word.

All in all, we couldn't have asked for a better dog! I don't think he completely enjoys being with the goats full time, I think he'd like more family time but that is not his job. We all go out often even if just to say hello.

He's a big dog. And his bark, well, let's just say it's intimidating. He didn't take too kindly to the horse charging down the hill one day when she heard I was feeding. Maybe it's coincidence but we've also not heard the coyotes since we got him. I'm sure that's more coincidence but King sure was making  ruckus last night and it was music to my ears because it means my baby goats are safe.

No comments: