Monday, March 7, 2011

Whirlwind Weekend

Another busy weekend behind us and I think it may take me all week to recover.

Saturday we got out early to head up north. We spent the better portion of the day there helping out at a friend's and what not and I feel pretty accomplished at what all we were able to get done including pulling blood from 7 does, trimming 2 stinky bucks feet, removing a bathroom mirror and light fixture and eating some darn fine pizza for lunch.

After all the chores were done, the fam. and I headed 30 miles SE to Herington, Ks. to pick up our LGD (livestock guardian dog) "King". Trying to get him into the car was, well, fun but after all was said and done he settled right down. Jeremiah did have to pick him up and he probably weighs, well, I don't even know but for Jeremiah to say a lot, he must weigh a pretty good bit. His shear size is quite intimidating! King stayed in the garage somewhat happily Saturday night. Sunday morning he was ready to head out to the goats and he's still out there today so I think he might want to stay :o). I'll emphasis the fact that he could easily dig his way under the fence any time he wanted and could easily jump the fence any time he wanted too. Not too much but his own will is keeping him in.

He's a good dog, great with the kids and so far seems to be very obedient and willing to please. I saw him digging in the pen (not under the fence, just out in the open) and scolded him from the house to stop and immediately he did and went on to something else. The goats are skeptical of their new herd mate but they'll settle down and this is a perfect opportunity to start the cycle of guardian dogs as herd mates being as how kidding is about to get into full swing here over the next month. He seems to sense their uneasiness and has been hanging back letting them have their space but is always very eager to meet us at the gate and walk along side as we/I do the chores. It'll take some time for everyone to get adjusted but I can finally rest easy and not feel like I have to lock the babies up at night. At the very least, even if King turns out to be more of a family oriented dog than a guardian, the mere presents of him should keep predators away. He doesn't seem to mind living with the flock and is pretty relaxed about it all.

Sunday I found some couches in Wichita so we headed over there to pick those up. I told Rachel I would try my best to get started removing the popcorn crap on her ceiling so I can paint in there. It's supposed to rain I think-though that could change-but rain would make for a good weekend to stay inside and get inside stuff done.

The weather has been on again and off again cold and warm. There is some prediction of snow and rain and ice so we'll see how that turns out. Today is dreary and rain is expected later today and tomorrow. 

A couple weekends ago we bought an approx. 2 ton round bale of grass hay (brome) and the damn thing is moldy through and through. Jeremiah and I spent the better part of 2 hours yesterday cutting it apart with a chainsaw and salvaging what we could. I don't have the guys # that we bought it from but I do have his address so one of the chores today is to sit down and write a letter and hope he calls me. It's not that I think he knew, it was barn stored after all and he runs a huge operation so it's not as though he was trying to stiff us as our single bale purchase is kind of a drop in the bucket for him I'd imagine. At the very least I'd like a mold free replacement or my money back!

Off here for now. If at some point over the next week if  the sun comes out and/or I happen to remember the camera when I go out to the goats, I'll get a photo of our new herd member.

No comments: