Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 3: Gettin' the Goats

It's a lovely day in Enterprise, FINALLY! I swear if you hadn't spent much time here you'd think the whole summer was 110 degrees night and day with an occasional lightening storm and 1,000% humidity!

We got the goats loaded around 2 and headed for home. Butters was ecstatic to get into the car as we had left him every other Monday morning with Jo and the "fam" while we traveling down to Hutch.

We pull up at the house about 6 PM and surprise surprise, guess who's STILL here? If you guessed Horse, you'd be right. I am a little perturbed at this point and lock horse up in her own property and loan her one of our water buckets. I'll call the neighbor tomorrow.

Let me take a minute to say that so far I have learned a few things about sounding like a local to both Kansas and more importantly Hutch. 1. If you call it the Arkansaw river, you're not a local. It's ArKansas. 2. If you call Hutchinson, Hutchinson, you're not a local. It's Hutch. 3. If you don't have some sort of accent, you're not really local. It doesn't matter what kind of accent you have, it could be Minnesotan and it would be fine, you just have to have some sort of accent. No accent at all gets you funny looks. 4. If you don't know what a co-op is and where your local one is, you're not a local.

I have mastered 4 of the 5. I don't know what a co-0p is nor do I "know my local one" but I don't let on, I just nod and smile and pretend I know what they're talking about. I'm trying hard to figure this one out without being found out. As for the accent, I didn't used to have one. But I do now and people think I pulled something over on them when I come out of Tractor Supply and hop into my car with California plates. Which isn't to say you won't be treated with the same warm and genuine hospitality if you're not a local, you just get treated like you need a Kansas education in what it is to be Kansan.

No comments: