Monday, September 20, 2010

Chastity Belts and Plastic Suits

I'm not really too happy of a camper mom today. Perhaps I am blame shifting here or maybe who I am pissed at is not really who I should be pissed at.

A week and a half ago Friday Rachel came home from school and said that some little wretch misguided child was touching her in the "privates". She had said once before that he was poking her in the rear end and now it had progressed to the front region. When she told me about the rear end poking 3 weeks ago I asked if she had told Mrs. H (Rachel's teacher)? She said she had. I thought that was the end of that. I asked, when the second incident had happened that Friday, and after some questioning I found out it was an every day occurrence in music class and that she had told two teachers now.

The reason it was still happening is that she had told two different teachers, neither of them had mentioned to each other (no reason to really) and so nothing had been done. I stewed about it all weekend and trotted down to school on Monday morning and talked with Mrs. H. I was assured it would stop, the little boy would be moved and the little boy's mother would be spoken with. I believed it, no reason not to.

My only concern is that he would be moved by another child who would then suffer the wrath of a sexual predator in the making. Maybe I am being a bit liberal with my assumption. I'm sure the odds are stacked in his favor that he'd turn out just fine. Jeremiah thinks I am being too harsh in saying that it's him and/or his parents to blame because, after all, our children poke each other. Not that it's common but it has been known to happen in which they are reprimanded for. BUT, we are family, and so okay, we've told them it's not okay to poke other people and it's not as if we walk down the hall and poke the other in any old place we choose in passing but we also teach our children that when someone asks you to stop it, you stop. And YES, they don't always stop fighting when we ask them to but dangit, I am trying to prove my point and I guess I don't really have an answer other than to say if it were an isolated incident, fine. If it happens again, his parents need a good whoopin'. Jeremiah is a half empty kinda guy. I'm a jump to conclusions too soon and raise all sorts of hell and suffer my wrath kinda gal. At least I didn't march down to the school on Friday, that may have turned out badly.

As far as I know the child has not touched her again and has been moved. Whether he's touched anyone else is anyone's guess. I've checked up with Rachel about it, she's told me he's not been but also has said she's not been asking about it either. Like I said...anyone's guess.

3 weeks ago Rachel came home with marker marks on her brand new pants. No big deal really. Accidents happen. How they happen THREE times on one pair of pants I don't know but moving on. I asked how it happened and she said some girl in her class did it on accident. Okay, fine. Last week, same thing. I'm thinking this girl is accident prone with the dry erase (PERMANENT) markers and I feel like taking my daughter's wardrobe fund out on her marking peer's rear end. Today Rachel comes home with marks on a third pair of pants and I have had it!

Seriously, do I really have to go down to the school AGAIN and talk to the teacher about a kid who's marking pants on purpose? And yes, it is on purpose. It's not like the gal's leaving the marker on her desk and it rolls off. Onto Rachel's pants. Three times. In three weeks. On THREE separate pair of pants. Nope, apparently she's marking all sorts of people and today I have freakin' had it with children who cannot behave themselves. We've got a cereal toucher and a cereal marker-er and it's what, the 5th week of school? What's next?

I am hating conventional school at the moment, and hating ill behaved children, and hating parents who are obviously idiots. Obviously right? Okay, maybe not obviously and maybe they aren't idiots but saying that they must be makes me feel better anyway, if only for a minute...until I were to meet them...then I would feel badly for speaking so poorly of them...unless...they really ARE idiots...which surely they must be...right?

So what, I need to buy my daughter a chastity belt to protect her from 6 year olds at school and a plastic suit for every day of the school week so I can just wipe it clean when someone starts marking it with permanent marker?

In a way, it's just clothing and touching isn't a big deal* unless I go freakin' out about it and making her feel like she should feel violated. I know. But on the other hand, we are not made of money and thankyouverymuch but I don't want to be touched in my "privates" when I am trying to harmonize. I do like to send my kids to school in clothing that makes them look and feel successful. A chastity belt doesn't sound like it would be too comfortable, not that I would know, I'm just assuming that it would be a distraction and if you're distracted in school you cannot concentrate and maybe these touchy marky kids should just be turned into chastity belts and plastic clothing.

*I am not downplaying the fact that touching should be off limits but unless there is a serious concern of children who touch turning into sexual predators, I really don't think it's that big of a deal. For the most part. When it's not my kid. I mean, you know what? Nevermind. It's not that big of a deal and people shouldn't make it to be a big deal but don't go teaching your children it's okay to touch people all willy nilly because it's not acceptable behavior and it's distracting and if someone tells you stop, DO IT. That's what the child should be taught.

Am I being to anal, shallow, any other choice adjectives? Maybe so. Part of me thinks so, the other part of me doesn't give a crap today.

I'm still pissed.


2 comments:

Jo Abair said...

You know, I think this post is totally understandable and TRULY you are being more relaxed than some would be about the private poking. And possibly its not different than arm poking for a 6 yr old kid, or maybe its just funny because its a "not supposed to poke there" but it is something we want to teach our children, dont accept this. Its one thing to have a kid irritating another by arm poking, but we should tell them you know what its not appropriate and it needs to stop. Being relaxed in front of child about it, yes, so she wont feel violated but yes it needs to stop also because our children should never accept that. They should know they can say NO those parts are off limits! You did a good job IMO making sure it stopped.

Amanda said...

Well honestly I wasn't too relaxed about it. I told her if he did it again to haul off and punch him. In fact, I think my words were, "Don't be polite in asking him to stop the next time. If there is a next time, beat the hell outta him. If you won't, I surely will." Maybe that wasn't such a good message, HA!