Thursday, September 9, 2010

Slow Progress

"The easiest painting you'll ever do" is becoming my worst nightmare! Painting paneling flat out sucks! Painting in a basement is even worse and I am so sick of painting I think this whole entire place will just stay the color it is. Which, let me tell you, is shades of cream. Didn't know cream had shades? Well, it does. AND it's awful seeing cream and brown and dark cream and mocha and light cream and dark chocolate and every other shade of the cream and brown spectrum. ALL. OVER. EVERYTHING.


The kids want their room painted. I'm of half a mind to hand them a brush and a can of paint and tell them to have at it.

Aside from that, the basement is slowly progressing. I painted all 4 walls today. I put up painters tape on the ceiling because I didn't buy a special cutting in brush and the damn tape took off bits and pieces from the paint on the ceiling. "GREAT!", I think. Instead I said, "Screw it!" Crown molding will be much easier to install and so there it is.

The shade of green I picked out was totally left field from my original pick of, you'll never believe this (!), COUNTRY WHITE! That's funny right? ::Sigh:: What can I say? shades of cream ARE okay but not always paired with shades of brown throughout the entire house!

I like the green anyway. It's called pale spruce or some fancy crap. It looks nice but painting in those craters on the paneling is awful and NOT easy and time consuming. I didn't get the closet painted. The ceiling is finished but my can of paint ran dry, I was high again on fumes, the kids were almost home and I hadn't started dinner. Heck, I didn't even know if the fricken chicken I had set in the fridge the night before had defrosted for my baked chicken dinner. Today is not a good day and tomorrow doesn't look good either...just so you're forewarned.

Anyway, Jeremiah will be home a bit late from work. He's making a picket pounder. That'll save us about $30. Tomorrow we're borrowing a trailer to go get the supplies for our barn project.

Oh, and I have something else to talk about. For weeks now when we go into town there are live traps set out in all the open areas along the road. They are actually in town and not on the way to town but anyway...so, before the traps were even out there we'd always talk about the cute little prairie dogs that live in the open areas along the road while we were stopped at red lights. They really are adorable and abundant. For about a week not the traps have been out and I didn't put two and two together until a couple days ago when I saw a new sign directing people towards the fair grounds.

The Fair-it's such a big thing here I thought it should be capitalized- is almost here and no wonder why all the lives traps are out. They want to beautify the place so people don't think that this town is trashy or anything. WE may be trashy, but our town? Nope, it's not trashy or overrun with prairie dogs. The funny thing is, there is a live trap by every single hole and honestly if they caught 3 of thousands I would be surprised. We'd always cheer for the prairie dogs, though I don't think they needed our support. Most were smart enough to know not to go in.

For a while there was nothing to entice them into the trap. I guess the city just thought they'd willingly wander in. Yeah, right. So, then they started bating them with water melon rinds. I'd like to know A. Who paid for all the watermelon and B. Why weren't we invited to THAT party.

Anyway, in the end, though I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure it was Prairie Dogs: 4 million City of Hutchinson: 3.

But speaking of The Fair, it starts tomorrow and goes to the 19th. We're going on the 19th because that's when the dairy goat show is. Ha. Is that selfish?

Would love to have gone Tuesday evening. The Oakridge Boys are playing but we don't know of anyone to watch the kids I don't know anyone I trust to watch the kids and plus too, it's a school nice. Maybe next year.

Now to figure out something for dinner. I don't feel like cooking. I mean...the chicken didn't defrost in time.

1 comment:

Jo Abair said...

This is good stuff to know... dont know if I want to go thru this, as you already have. Maybe I will save myself the experience and just pull off the paneling! I would rather tape/mud/sand and then do quick painting that go thru this... sorry about your fumes, that isnt sounding healthy!!!